December 12, 2020
Day 347 of 366
December 12th is the 347th day of the year. It is Constitution Day in Russia.
Historical items of note:
- In 1870, Joseph H. Rainey of South Carolina became the second black United States congressman.
- In 1901, Guglielmo Marconi receives the first transatlantic radio signal – it was the letter “S” in Morse Code – at Signal Hill in St John’s, Newfoundland.
- In 1915, singer, actor, and producer Frank Sinatra was born.
- In 1923, game show host Bob Barker was born.
- In 1927, inventor and businessman Robert Noyce was born. He was the co-founder of the Intel Corporation.
- In 1949, actor Bill Nighy was born.
- In 1964, shooting began on the original Star Trek pilot.
- In 1970, actress Jennifer Connelly was born.
- Also in 1970, actress Mädchen Amick was born.
- In 1975, actress, neuroscientist, and author Mayim Bialik was born.
December 12th is the Day of Neutrality (Bitaraplyk baýramy) in Turkmenistan.
Known as the second most important state holiday in the country, it commemorates the 1995 resolution that called on UN to respect and maintain the permanent neutrality of Turkmenistan to contribute to peace and security in the region.
The Thing About Today is an effort to look at each day of 2020 with respect to its historical context.
For more creativity with a critical eye, visit Creative Criticality.