December 11, 2020
Day 346 of 366
December 11th is the 346th day of the year. It is Republic Day in Burkina Faso, commemorating the day when Upper Volta became an autonomous republic in the French Community in 1958.
Historical items of note:
- In 1792, during the French Revolution, King Louis XVI was put on trial for treason by the National Convention.
- In 1803, French composer, conductor, and critic Hector Berlioz was born.
- In 1843, German microbiologist and physician Robert Koch was born. A Nobel laureate, he identified the specific causative agents of tuberculosis, cholera, and anthrax and also gave experimental support for the concept of infectious disease, which included experiments on humans and animals.
- In 1882, German physicist and mathematician Max Born was born. A Nobel laureate, he was instrumental in the development of quantum mechanics.
- In 1931, through the Statute of Westminster, the British Parliament established legislative equality between the UK and the Dominions of the Commonwealth—Australia, Canada, Newfoundland, New Zealand, South Africa, and Ireland.
- Also in 1931, Puerto Rican-American actress, singer, and dancer Rita Moreno was born.
- In 1946, the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) was established.
- In 1962, Arthur Lucas, convicted of murder, became the last person to be executed in Canada.
- Also in 1962, actor Ben Browder was born.
- In 1972, Apollo 17 became the sixth and final Apollo mission to land on the Moon.
- In 1980, Magnum, P.I. premiered on television.
- In 1996, actress, singer and songwriter Hailee Steinfeld was born.
- In 2008, Bernard Madoff was arrested and charged with securities fraud in a $50 billion Ponzi scheme.
December 11th is International Mountain Day.
The day was designated by the United Nations General Assembly in 2003 to encourage the international community to highlight the importance of sustainable mountain development. Each year has a different theme, from raising awareness about indigenous peoples and minorities who live in mountain environments and the relevance of their cultural heritage, traditions and customs to exploring measures to lengthen the life of glaciers.
The Thing About Today is an effort to look at each day of 2020 with respect to its historical context.
For more creativity with a critical eye, visit Creative Criticality.