September 4, 2020
Day 248 of 366
September 4th is the 248th day of the year. It is Immigrant’s Day in Argentina.
In the United States, today is “celebrated” as National Chianti Day (the first Friday in September), National Wildlife Day, National Newspaper Carrier Day, National Macadamia Nut Day, National Lazy Mom’s Day (the first Friday in September), National Food Bank Day (the first Friday in September), and National College Colors Day (the Friday before Labor Day).
My college colors are red and white. Go Utes!
Historical items of note:
- In 1781, Los Angeles was founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels) by 44 Spanish settlers.
- In 1888, George Eastman registered the trademark Kodak and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
- In 1923, the maiden flight of the USS Shenandoah, the first United States airship, occurred.
- In 1928, actor Dick York was born.
- In 1957, the Ford Motor Company introduced the Edsel.
- Also in 1957, actress, dancer, and choreographer Khandi Alexander was born.
- Also in 1957, actress Patricia Tallman was born.
- In 1960, actor, director, producer, and screenwriter Damon Wayans was born.
- In 1968, voice actor John DiMaggio was born.
- In 1972, The Price Is Right premiered on CBS. It is the longest-running game show on American television.
- In 1981, singer-songwriter, producer, dancer, and actress Beyoncé was born.
- In 1985, Buckminsterfullerene, the first fullerene molecule of carbon, was discovered.
- In 1995, Xena: Warrior Princess debuted.
- In 1998, Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.
September 4th is National Newspaper Carrier Day.
It honors Barney Flaherty, the first newspaper carrier (or paperboy) hired in 1833, as well as all current newspaper carriers. Flaherty’s hiring was on September 4th, conducted by Benjamin Day, publisher of the New York Sun. It is also observed by The Armidale Express, NSW, Australia.
This is not to be confused with International Newspaper Carrier Day, an annual observance created by the Newspaper Association of America and celebrated in October.
The Thing About Today is an effort to look at each day of 2020 with respect to its historical context.
For more creativity with a critical eye, visit Creative Criticality.