Culture on My Mind
Disney+ Day 2021
November 15, 2020
You get a bonus edition of Culture on My Mind because I’m thinking Disney.
Disney+ Day marks the anniversary of the Mouse House’s streaming service, and the second anniversary was on November 12th. The event served as a teaser for new content and features as well as a premiere day for new titles.
To celebrate the second anniversary of Disney+, several new titles were added to the service, including:
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Jungle Cruise
- Home Sweet Home Alone
- Marvel Assembled: The Making of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Marvel Studios’ 2021 Disney Plus Special
- Under the Helmet: The Legacy of Boba Fett
- The Making of Happier than Ever: A Love Letter to Los Angeles
- Enchanted (2007)
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum: Season Two
- Fancy Nancy: Season Three
- Olaf Presents (a series of animated shorts)
- Ciao Alberto (a Luca short)
- The Simpsons in Plusaversary
The list also included an assorted collection of Walt Disney Animation Studios shorts.
IMAX Enhanced Films
Select Marvel films have been upgraded on the service to include their IMAX presentations. A typical theater presentation is in either the 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which means that for every inch tall, a movie is either 1.85 inches or 2.35 inches wide. IMAX uses a 1.90:1 ratio, which offers up to 26 percent more screen space.
The films included in this lauch are:
- Iron Man (2008)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- Doctor Strange (2016)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
- Black Panther (2018)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018)
- Captain Marvel (2019)
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)
- Black Widow (2021)
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
The IMAX presentations on Disney+ do not include the IMAX Enhanced DTS sound, but there is a possibility of adding it down the road.
Star Wars Teases
Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) – A teaser is available on Disney+.
- X-Men ’97, a revival of the beloved 1997 Fox animated series (2023)
- Moon Knight, based on the Marvel Comics series. For more information and a peek at the First Look footage, check out the New Rockstars video.
- She Hulk, based on the 1980s Marvel Comics series created by Stan Lee and John Buscema. For more information and a peek at the First Look footage, check out the New Rockstars video.
- Ms. Marvel, based on the Marvel Comics series. For more information and a peek at the First Look footage, check out the New Rockstars video.
- What If…?: Season Two
- Echo, an original series based on the Marvel Comics character.
- Spider-Man: Freshman Year (an animated series)
- I Am Groot (an animated series)
- Ironheart, an original series based on the Marvel Comics character.
- Agatha: House of Harkness, a spinoff from WandaVision
- Marvel Zombies, an animated series based on the Marvel Comics series
- Secret Invasion, an original series based on the Marvel Comics series and presuambly playing off all of the Skrulls that we keep seeing in the MCU. Once again with the breakdown, I present New Rockstars.
New Rockstars also recorded a discussion on all of the titles from the presentation today.
- Cars on the Road (an original series based on the films, coming 2022)
- Win or Lose (an animated series about baseball in Fall 2023)
- Behind the scenes feature-length documentaries are also coming in 2022 for Turning Red and Lightyear.
- Zootopia+, a short form series based on Zootopia (coming in 2022)
- Tiana, a new long-form musical series continuing 2009’s The Princess and the Frog (2022)
- The Ice Age Advenures of Buck Wild (a spinoff of Ice Age, coming January 28, 2022)
- Baymax! (an original series based on Big Hero Six, coming Summer 2022)
- Cheaper By the Dozen (a movie presumably based off the 1950 and 2003 films, premiering in March 2022)
- Disenchanted, the sequel to 2007’s Enchanted (Fall 2022)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid (which is getting yet another revision) (December 3, 2021)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
- The Beatles: Get Back (November 25, 2021)
- Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Spring 2022)
- Better Nate Than Ever (Spring 2022)
- Hocus Pocus 2 (Fall 2022)
- Pinocchio (the next live action reimagining, coming Fall 2022 with Tom Hanks and Robert Zemeckis)
- Limitless with Chris Hemsworth (from National Geographic, coming 2022)
- Welcome to Earth (a National Geographic series with Will Smith, coming December 8, 2021)
- America the Beautiful (from National Geographic, coming 2022)
- Sneakerella (an original movie, coming February 18, 2021)
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (February 2022)
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: Season Three (2022)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (a new live-action series)
- Willow, a series following the 1988 film (2022)
We’ll probably get more information at the Disney Investor’s Call, but it’s good to see what’s in the hopper for many of our favorite franchises and properties. Also remember what came from last year’s investor call. All of those things are still on the horizon, including more Marvel and Star Wars content.
Culture on My Mind is inspired by the weekly Can’t Let It Go segment on the NPR Politics Podcast where each host brings one thing to the table that they just can’t stop thinking about.
For more creativity with a critical eye, visit Creative Criticality.